John Kolvereid wrote:
> Hi Stas,
>   I have been watching my error_log.  Here is what I
> have found so far (in a nut shell): mod_perl and php4
> cannot co-exist.  I have documented as best I can my
> findings in hopes that someone can 'fix' this problem:

John, we are going in circles here:

>   apachectl start
>   ---error log------------------------
>   [Tue Apr  2 17:49:09 2002] [notice] Apache/1.3.23
> (Unix) mod_perl/1.26 PHP/4.0.6 mod_ssl/2.8.7
> OpenSSL/0.9.6b configured -- resuming normal
> operations
>   [Tue Apr  2 17:49:09 2002] [notice] Accept mutex:
> sysvsem (Default: sysvsem)
>   ------------------------------------
>
>   available - nothing
>       "The document contained no data" appears in place of
> any web page
>
>   ---error log------------------------
>   [Tue Apr  2 17:49:40 2002] [notice] child pid 17034
> exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
>   ------------------------------------

All I wanted is this logged message explaining why the page wasn't
served. We have it now (you posted this earlier as well)

Now please reread my earlier replies to you explaining how to get a core
file dumped when Segfault happens and how to send to the modperl a
backtrace, which will help to identify the problem.

The debug is actually an easy thing to do:

you have a problem with the script not doing the job

1. you go to the error_log file

1a. it's either a broken script, which you fix

1b. or it's a segfault

2. if it's a segfault you need to get the core file

3. you use gdb to get the backtrace from the core file (see the SUPPORT
file)

4. you try to understand what the problem is by looking at the trace. if
you don't understand it you send it to the list using the bugreport.pl
script.