Subject line says it all.

I've recently reconfigured a web server to use the front-end proxy/back-end
mod_perl configuration.  One application runs happily on the mod_perl
server, with static content being served from the proxy, and dynamic
requests forwarded to the backend.

However, I have a request to insert a bunch of static content onto the proxy
server, which is fine.  As an added requirement, the content is to be
protected.  Now, I could just use the standard Apache access files, but
they're ugly, and get slow as they grow.

Ideally, I'd like to use the backend database to hold the user information
used for authentication.  How can I configure the proxy (which doesn't have
mod_perl) to authenticate against the back end?

My first thoughts were to use mod_proxy to forward requests for
/protected/login to the backend, where the authentication will be done.
Then, just redirect the request to another URL behind /protected.  The
authentication information should be passed as part of the request, should
it not?  I'd also reverse proxy the URL's - I don't think this would work if
I didn't.

Am I on the right track here or not?

   -klm.

Kenneth L. Miller, Consultant