> On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 10:12:32AM -0800, Kirk Rogers wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > So I went ahead and tried to install apache-ssl and am following the
> > instructions to the T.
> >
> > I've acquired:
> > mod_perl-1.26.tar.gz
> > openssl-0.9.6c.tar.gz
> > apache_1.3.22.tar.gz
> > apache_1.3.22+ssl_1.47.tar.gz
>
> Man this is terrible.
>
> Having to compile, install, integrate everything yourself is a huge
> waste of time. Your are duplicating all the efforts put in by the
> distributions, for zero added value. Plus you've got an upgrade
> nightmare waiting for you.

It is quite easy actually.

do it this way

build and install open_ssl

untar apache in /usr/src
ln -s apache_version apache

cp  apache_1.3.22+ssl_1.47.tar.gz into the apache directory
untar apache_1.3.22+ssl_1.47.tar.gz
run ./FixPatch

If you wish to use mod_so or any of the other non-standard modules
rm src/Configuration
rm src/Configuration.apaci

edit src/Configuration.tmpl  as required
i.e. for mod_rewrite, mod_so, etc....

----------------------
untar mod_perl distribution
in the mod perl source directory, ...
perl Makefile.PL \
        APACHE_SRC=/usr/src/apache/src \
        DO_HTTPD=1 \
        USE_APACI=1 \
        PREP_HTTPD=1 \
        EVERYTHING=1 \

make
make test       # broken
make install

in apache directory
./configure --with-layout=Apache \
        --activate-module=src/modules/perl/libperl.a
make
make install