i had trouble using a proxy front end to both
a mod_perl and mod_php back end servers.

this works fine for me at 1.3.23, so I reverted
back to it.  i copied the httpd.conf files
from the 1.3.24 to my downgraded 1.3.23
and everything worked correctly on the first
try.

i was getting garbage characters before the first
the end.  also, there was a delay before the
connection would close.  i tried turning keep
alives off and on in the back end server,
but i did not note a change in behavior
i also tried some different buffer directives,
including the new ProxyIOBufferSize.

these garbage characters and delays were
not present serving static content from the
front end server, or when directly requesting
content directly from either of the back end
servers.

i know they've made some mods to the
proxy module, including support for HTTP/1.1,
but i did not have time to research the exact
cause of the problem.

just a word of warning before someone
spends hours in frustration, or perhaps
someone can give me a tip if they've