On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 02:33:35PM -0800, ___cliff rayman___ wrote:
> i had trouble using a proxy front end to both
> a mod_perl and mod_php back end servers.
>
> this works fine for me at 1.3.23, so I reverted
> back to it.  i copied the httpd.conf files
> from the 1.3.24 to my downgraded 1.3.23
> and everything worked correctly on the first
> try.
>
> i was getting garbage characters before the first
> the end.  also, there was a delay before the
> connection would close.  i tried turning keep
> alives off and on in the back end server,
> but i did not note a change in behavior
> i also tried some different buffer directives,
> including the new ProxyIOBufferSize.

That was the size of the document when you get it in a chunked
response. And there were some problems in 1.3.24 where mod_proxy
returned the data it had collected in the chunked format even if
the client requesting the data didn't explicitly ask for it.

> these garbage characters and delays were
> not present serving static content from the
> front end server, or when directly requesting
> content directly from either of the back end
> servers.
>
> i know they've made some mods to the
> proxy module, including support for HTTP/1.1,
> but i did not have time to research the exact
> cause of the problem.
>
> just a word of warning before someone
> spends hours in frustration, or perhaps
> someone can give me a tip if they've
> solved this problem.

There are some few messages concerning the problem a while ago either on
this list or the dev@httpd list.

http://msgs.securepoint.com/cgi-bin/get/apache0204/1/3.html
etc.

Can't really remember if they have fixed it in CVS already.

--
  Thomas Eibner <http://thomas.eibner.dk/> DnsZone <http://dnszone.org/>
  mod_pointer <http://stderr.net/mod_pointer> <http://photos.eibner.dk/>