i have a set of detailed plans that allows for a
mod_ssl front end with mutliple backends, of
which i have built mod_perl and mod_php. this
version works in a virtualhost environment (i did
not setup the php for virtualhost, but that is trivial).

it has not yet been tested in a heavy production
environment, but it should build just fine, and it will
work great for testing and learning.  i think it will work
better on 1.3.24 (because of better proxy buffering
and releasing), but there was a bug in that
release, and the patch came out after i reverted
to 1.3.23.  let me know if you'd like a copy.

cliff