Mark Fowler wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>

>>Looks like you cannot run the Inline code under mod_perl. I remember
>>Brian told me the secret code to make it work under mod_perl :)
>

> Ah, this might be it.  The first time the Inline code is run the ILSM
> (Inline Support Module) compiles[1] the code.  It then stashes this away
> in the .Inline directory, then reads this 'compiled' code back in again
> this, and every other time, it's called. If it can't do that then
> this could be a problem.

The Inline->init; is supposed to do that at require() time

I guess Inline could have provided a better diagnostics, but again I'm
not in sync with the latest versions, which may do that already.
probably a question for the Inline mailing list.

>>make sure that /tmp/Inline is writable by the webserver.
>>Hopefully you will figure out how to fix completely Bad::Segv and I'll
>>have more time to do other things :) Thanks.
>
> Um...if you do this arn't you essentially creating a directory where you
> can store executable code that will be read in by your webserver and run
> that can be written to by your webserver?  Isn't this a little insecure?

you can precompile all the code before the server starts, and then have
this dir readonly.
To precompile simple do:

  perl -Mmodule_with_inline_code -e1
of course assuming that you've explicitly set the Inline build dir in
your code, like in my example.