I'm using AuthCookie and as some of you know, if it determines your
session to be invalid it redirects to a login page instead by way of a
FORBIDDEN response coupled with a custom error page.

My app has a frameset (navigation on the left, and two data frames on
the right).  I know the evils of framesets, but in our case, it's the
best way to present our particular data.

What ends up happening is that if the session expires, AuthCookie
displays the login page inside whatever frameset you were clicking in,
while the other two remain on whatever they were on previously.

I made a quick solution...I told AuthCookie that my login page was
login.html.  login.html had javascript which called /real/login (a
mod_perl handler) and targeted it to the top frame.  All is well and now
the entire browser window gets cleared and replaced with the login page.

However...I then thought it'd be neat to include on the /real/login page
a message to tell them how they got there ("Your session has expired",
"Your account has logged on from another location", "Invalid
username/password combination", whatever...).

At first I thought I could accomplish this by simply doing
$r->notes('LOGINFAILMSG' => 'Your session has expired') if AuthCookie
detected it to be thus, and then in my handler I could retrieve it and
display it.

However, it's failing of course because I added the extra redirection of
the login.html w/ the javascript, which makes a round trip to the client
and back, so it looks like a brand new request to mod_perl, thus, no
notes() any more.  Is there a solution to breaking out of the frameset
AND propagating the reason for the logout to the /real/login page?

I'd appreciate and and all ideas.  Thanks!

-Fran