> I thought that using 'local' would successfully scope those globals to
> within a sub, so you could,k for example, slurp an entire file by doing:
>
> local $/ = undef;
> my $file = <FH>;
>
> Or am I wrong in that?  I use it frequently, and don't seem to have any
> troubles.
>
> --Jon R.

It is my understanding that that is correct.  I am a novice at mod_perl, but
your experience would seem to match up with my understanding of the Guide.

Local would scope it to within the enclosing block; so you could scope a
variable within a bare block so that it would be local to you package, but
shareable between subs.

# $/ equals default, global value
{
    local $/ = undef;

    sub { ... # $/ equals undef }
    sub { ... # $/ equals undef }
    sub { local $/ = "\n\n"; # localized value for sub }

    # $/ back to undef
}
# $/ back to default, global value

-Bill