Yes: simply because I want to be able to install the software at new
sites with minimal httpd.conf twiddling (and the user has a configuration
file in which they can switch on/off the SSL requirement).

Thanks for the easier answer though - it should probably be the first
answer in the FAQ (is there a FAQ file somewhere that I could patch in the
answers to this question and send it to someone?)

-Aaron