Just a quick note on the successful resolution of this; it's a bug in
Apache
1.3.24 with the handling of chunked data from proxies, details here:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-httpd-dev&m=101805692511019&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-httpd-dev&m=101810478231242&w=2

and there's a patch available here (or your local equivalent):

http://apache.planetmirror.com.au/dist/httpd/patches/apply_to_1.3.24/proxy_http1.1_chunking.patch

Anybody who wants to use the ProxyPass feature in a front-end Apache
1.3.24 to get to a mod_perl-enabled server should install this patch.

Thanks
Ian Macdonald