Hi,

More info on my problem with my proxied (via Rewrite rules) mod_perl
apache giving responses that were a) topped & tailed with message size
and "0" respectively, and b) delayed for about 15 seconds; thanks to
Igor S. for tipping me off that this was chunking and therefore it was a
HTTP 1.0 vs 1.1 problem, but I still haven't managed to completely solve
it.

Short version:

Can I tell my mod_perl apache to either only ever respond with 1.0 HTTP,
or to not use chunking? (Or how do I tell my main server not to
"promote" the version when it routes the original request to the
mod_perl server?)

Setting force-response-1.0 & downgrade-1.0 to 1 doesn't seem to work
(completely).

Long version:

The problem appears to be that the browser I'm using for testing
(Netscape 4.78 on Redhat) is issuing GET xxx 1.0 requests; these are
recognised as perl resources and passed to the mod_perl apache but the
new requests are like GET xxx 1.1. The mod_perl apache obediently sends
back a chunked 1.1 answer, which the browser can't handle. As
confirmation I tried a different test machine running Netscape 6.? and
the aberrant behaviour disappeared.  When I go straight to the mod_perl
server by specifying the port in the URL, it works because the original
request is 1.0 and so that is what is returned.

I've tried adding "SetEnv force-response-1.0 1" and "SetEnv
downgrade-1.0 1" in both servers config, but the only effect I've
noticed is when I add "force-response-1.0" to the main server, the delay
goes away; the size & 0 (ie the chunking info) still top & tail the
response.

Thanks
Ian Macdonald
[EMAIL PROTECTED]