Sorry.. Haven't read / Can't find the whole thread..  But...

Surely just:

        print STDERR "Hello World";

... I always just stick this in my code...

        ### DEBUGGER
        sub debug{
          my $message = shift;
          if ($debug){
            print STDERR "$message\n";
          }
        }

So my code is full of:

        debug("Here is something going on");

Which works a treat...  Then just "tail -f" the error log and watch it
all happening (breaking!)

($debug is a global var, used to simply switch the error loggin on and
off..)

Is this what you're after?

Kindest,