Perrin Harkins writes:
> I find you can tie this cache stuff up inside of your data access
> objects and make it all transparent to the other code.

Absolutely.

> A session is useful for very limited things, like remembering if this
> user is logged in and linking him to a user_id.

We store this information in the cookie.  I don't see how it could be
otherwise.  It's the browser that maintains the "login" state.

Consider the following scenario:

* User logs in.
* Site Admin decides to delete the user.
* In our stateless servers, the user_id is invalidated immediately.
* Next request from User, he's implicitly logged out, because the user_id
  is verified on every request.

In the case of a session-based server, you have to delete the user and
invalidate any sessions which the user owns.

> Although Oracle can be fast, some data models and application
> requirements make it hard to do live queries every time and still have
> decent performance.  This is especially true as traffic starts to
> climb.

I've tried to put numbers on some of this.  I've never worked on a
1M/day site, so I don't know if this is the point where you need
sessions.  What sites other than etoys needs this type of session
caching?

Rob