On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Paul G. Weiss wrote:

> OK, until I can decide whether to take a chance on FreeBSD-current
> or to convince my employers who were so enamored of FreeBSD that
> we should rebuild the server with Linux, I'm going prefork.

worth skimming the [EMAIL PROTECTED] archives.  if the issue has
already been fixed in the freebsd kernel, you'd need to upgrade from 4.5

> It still doesn't work precisely as it should though.  I decided
> to go with the cvs builds of apache and mod_perl.  I have to
> confess that the installation instructions seem strange (both for
> CVS and non-CVS).  You have to build and install Apache in order
> to get the include files to build mod_perl.  Then after doing
> a make for mod_perl you are supposed to go back to Apache and
> configure, make, make-install -- even though the mod_perl make
> touched nothing in the Apache tree!  I assume after all of this
> you do make install on both Apache and mod_perl although the
> doc doesn't say so.

the docs are broken then.  all you have to do is:
- install perl
- install apache
- build modperl with:
perl Makefile.PL MP_AP_PREFIX=/usr/local/apache2 && make test && make install

> I suppose I could have done --enable-threads in Apache
> with --with-mpm=prefork and it might have worked.  Is
> that considered kosher?

maybe.  but if you are using prefork, no need to build perl with
-Dusethreads