Hello,

I'm having some problems compiling the XML::LibXSLT module and was
wondering if anyone could help. I've successfully compiled and tested
libxml2 2.4.22 and libxslt 1.0.18, and have been able to get the make
procedures to find libxml when compiling things like Sablotron, etc.
However, I can't get the XML::LibXSLT makefile to find my libxslt
libraries. No matter what options I pass for LIBS and INC, I keep
getting the following result:

running xslt-config... failed
using fallback values for LIBS and INC
  LIBS='-L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/lib -lxslt -lxml2 -lz -lm'
  INC='-I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include'
If this is wrong, Re-run as:
  $ perl5 Makefile.PL LIBS='-L/path/to/lib' INC='-I/path/to/include'

looking for -lxslt... no
libxslt not found
Try setting LIBS and INC values on the command line
Or get libxslt and libxml2 from
  http://www.libxml.org/
If you install via RPMs, make sure you also install the -devel
RPMs, as this is where the headers (.h files) are.

I installed libxml2 and libxslt from tar.gz files on a FreeBSD 4.4
system, but it's set up a bit strangely... It's on a "virtual server,"
so / actually maps to /usr/home/username/. Libxml is installed at (using
the virtual directory structure) /usr/local/libxml2-2.4.22 and libxslt
is installed at /usr/local/libxslt-1.0.18. Additionally, I have soft
links in the /usr/local directory (libxml -> libxml2-2.4.22, libxslt ->
libxslt-1.0.18).

I've tried passing LIBS='-L/usr/home/username/usr/local/libxslt/lib'
INC='-I/usr/home/username/usr/local/libxslt/include' on the command line
as suggested, as well as variants omitting the /usr/home/username part
and using the full directory names instead of the links. Same results
each time.

I'm not too familiar with passing compiler flags, though. Am I passing
the wrong values, or is there something I'm missing?

TIA.

Sincerely,
Scott G. Kearn