Peter Rothermel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
> > Peter Rothermel wrote:
> >

> > > PerlChildInitHandler Apache::foo->loadkey
> > >
> > > Will the genkey method get execute at the
> > > initialization of each thread?
> >
> > Apache doesn't provide such a hook yet. May be in the future.
> >
> > child_init is for child process init, not threads.
> >
>http://perl.apache.org/release/docs/2.0/user/handlers/handlers.html#PerlChildInitHandler
> >
> > what are you trying to do?
>
> I'm encrypting/decrypting data within cookies that are holding session keys
> for authentication purposes.  I decrypt the session key within the cookie data,
> whenever I get an http request that has a cookie in the header.

What's the benefit of encrypting the session keys in the cookie?  If
they're randomly chosen from a very large space, the probability of
guessing a valid session key can be made exactly equal to the
probability of guessing the encryption key.

In particular, if the *result* of the encryption is, say, a 32-bit
encrypted session key, is that any more secure than simply picking a
random 32-bit session key to begin with?  Even with a 2048-bit
encryption key, there are actually only 32 bits of space to search for
a hit.  (So you don't need to have a 2048-bit session key space to
match the security of a 2048-bit encryption key applied to a 32-bit
session key space; a 32-bit session key space alone is just as safe.)

And of course the key generation, encryption, and decryption take CPU
power, *and* require additional code that could have bugs, which could
be security problems.

I've seen people (including one client) *very* committed to this
"encrypted session key" concept before, and I've never been able to
understand what benefit it buys them.  I ask because I'm NOT yet
totally convinced I'm right; though I'm convinced enough that the
sites I design depend on it.

(One obvious answer is "there are big wins for us in having session
keys that *aren't* randomly chosen").
--
David Dyer-Bennet, [EMAIL PROTECTED]  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net