Perrin Harkins wrote:

> Despite the intentionally misleading nature of Microsoft's "benchmark",
> it did get me thinking about what sort of benchmarking options exist for
> comparing languages and platforms.  The "Hello World" and "Hello 2000"
> benchmarks are pretty small (understandably so, given that it's one
> person doing the coding for all environments).  A more realistic
> benchmark would be nice to have, for PR reasons.
>
> The Nile.com benchmark models an on-line bookstore and was used by eWeek
> Labs as recently as February to compare database performance (using
> identical Java code and varying the database behind it).  It's a
> relatively small application and would probably not take a lot of work
> to implement on mod_perl.  Versions for ASP and JSP already exist and
> source code is available.

It would be good to see someone do this for mod_perl.  None
of the benchmarks I have done so far get anywhere near testing
the scalability of systems in the real world, and it would
be good to see this done.

As a next step for the hello world benchmarks, I'll probably do
a cross platform benchmark while hitting a MySQL database.  An insert,
delete, update, and 10-20 selects probably, but it will still
be a small code base being hit.

> On a totally different note, it would be fun to see how mod_perl 2 is
> stacking up on the Hello and Hello 2000 tests.

Will do.

--Josh