On Thursday, 2002-08-01 at 18:06:29 -0400, Perrin Harkins wrote:
> Dave Rolsky wrote:
> >It can, but I'm not sure what to update it to.  Frankly, I think CPAN is
> >more at fault here given that _many_ people use CVS for this sort of stuff
> >and this quite normal when using CVS.

It's not CPAN, it's Perl. Perl has been using decimal-fraction
version numbers for a looong time.

> This is a common complaint about CPAN.pm, but it's kept this way so far
> because of performance issues with doing fancier version parsing.  I
> would suggest following David Wheeler's advice and setting version
> manually, so that you can just make 1.69 or something.

It would also break many modules on CPAN which rely on fractional
version numbers. People use 2.10 and then 2.101 indicating a minor
patch.

> Incidentally, all hell is going to break loose when Perl 5.10 gets
> released.  Maybe that will force a change in CPAN.pm.

Huh? How so?

perl -e 'print $], "\n";'
5.006001

Larry was anticipating a long line of Perl 5 versions... (Yes, I know
$] is deprecated. But $^V does not print easily. And vector version
numbers are not compatible with 5.005 and earlier, so CPAN modules
avoid them.)

Luipe Christoph
--
| [EMAIL PROTECTED]       |           http://www.lupe-christoph.de/ |
| I have challenged the entire ISO-9000 quality assurance team to a      |