(I found a better way to do what I wanted, avoiding PerlChildInitHandler
completely, but still...)

My reason for wanting PerlChildInitHandler (and PerlChildExitHandler)
inside VirtualHost is
to be able to keep these declarations close to the PerlHandlers that
rely on them.  I like to
put my VirtualHost conf sections inside separate Include config files so
that I can leave the
main httpd.conf fairly static.

If ChildInitHandler is not allowed inside VirtualHost, it should
generate an exception when
the config file is parsed.  Instead, it silently ignores the declaration.

-Jason