Rob - thanks for your response. The relevant part of my http.conf is below. The only
thing I see maybe as different is my dev2Path line - my goal is to protect the
location /directory and and .pl files. Is that line right? Also, you have a PerlSetVar
SecretKey line that does not show up in my perldocs. (module v 1.19)

Thanks - GV

#-----------------------------------------------------

[snip previous virtualhost stuff...]
</VirtualHost>

PerlSetVar dev2DBI_SecretKeyFile /home/websites/dev2/signmanage/secretkey
PerlSetVar dev2Path /
PerlSetVar dev2LoginScript /signmanage/login.pl
PerlSetVar dev2DBI_DSN "dbi:Pg:dbname=users"
PerlSetVar dev2DBI_User "someone"
PerlModule Apache::AuthCookieDBI

<VirtualHost dev2>
DocumentRoot /home/websites/dev2
ServerName dev2.gimsnetwork.com
DirectoryIndex index.html

<Location /protected>
 AuthName dev2
 AuthType Apache::AuthCookieDBI

 PerlAuthenHandler Apache::AuthCookieDBI->authenticate
 PerlAuthzHandler Apache::AuthCookieDBI->authorize
 Require valid-user

</Location>
<FilesMatch "\.pl$">
 AuthName dev2
 AuthType Apache::AuthCookieDBI
 PerlAuthenHandler Apache::AuthCookieDBI->authenticate
 PerlAuthzHandler Apache::AuthCookieDBI->authorize
 Require valid-user

SetHandler perl-script
PerlHandler Apache::Registry
PerlSendHeader On
Options +ExecCGI
</FilesMatch>

# This is the action of the login.pl script above.
<Files LOGIN>
 AuthType Apache::AuthCookieDBI
 AuthName dev2
 SetHandler perl-script
 PerlHandler Apache::AuthCookieDBI->login
</Files>