jjore>  If you completely left CPAN out of the picture then just as a
jjore> language and syntax it isn't all that nice anyway.  *shrugs*
jjore> I've yet to understand what the appeal is.

PHP is just barely limited enough that an ISP can leave it enabled for
those free or cheap homepage sites, and so people can migrate from
static HTML web pages to "interactivity" without learning "a real
language".  (Unfortunately, the frequent security holes mean that
those ISPs usually get 0wn3d rather quickly.)

>From that perspective, it's a success.  I applaud that.

What confuses me is how anyone with a *programming* background admires
PHP over Perl, or can say that Perl "doesn't scale" or PHP is better
for "large web sites".  Obviously, they're comparing Perl-CGI with
PHP, not mod_perl/$templating_system with PHP, which would be a much
fairer comparison.

As I've said in this forum before:

        PHP is "training wheels without the bicycle".