On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Gunther Birznieks wrote:

> You would think if they want an anal scripting language they would move
> to python not PHP. :)

Python isn't anal--it's a very clean, interesting, flexible language on
par with perl--perhaps superior in some ways and not as good in others
but, overall, on a similar scale.

In respect to the article, to me, anyway, most of the arguments weren't
particularly compelling from my outside viewpoint. The one point they made
was true--PHP was developed specifically for the web and doesn't have the
wide variability of perl (they seem to equate extensive flexibility, as a
trouble point leading to great variance in the code -- stylistically and
logically). I don't think this problem is neccessarily eliminated
comprehensively by switching to a crappy language like PHP. Some
standardization could be achieved via coding guidelines, approved
practices, code reviews etc. while still retaining the power and
flexibility of a perl. Many of the problems they associated with perl
aren't neccessarily eliminated by using PHP, including the issues with
code variance.

They still stated that perl would fuel many things on the backend, though,
so they haven't gone completely mad.

-mj