From: Randy Kobes [mailto:randy@;theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca]
Sent: Friday, November 08, 2002 11:42 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [Win32] ActivePerl-5.8 beta released

Of relevance to mod_perl-2 Win32 users, ActivePerl just released
a beta version of their perl-5.8 binary; see
   http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/
Because of binary incompatibilities with 5.6, there's a
separate 5.8 repository of ppm packages under
   http://www.activestate.com/ppmpackages/5.8-windows/
Such packages should be compatible with the perl-5.8 win32
binary we have under
  ftp://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/pub/other/perl-5.8-win32-bin.tar.gz
if you've been using that.

Even though the ActivePerl package is beta, they've tested
it out beforehand and fixed some things compared to the
CPAN perl-5.8 sources; see
  ftp://ftp.activestate.com/ActivePerl/src/5.8/
for the diffs and for the complete sources used.

If you're using mod_perl-2 on Win32 with perl-5.6.1 and have run
into problems (such as hanging registry scripts), you may want to
try perl-5.8. Over the next few days I'll make up a 5.8 Win32 ppm
repository with mod_perl-2 and some other common packages; I'll
post something later with the details. Unless there's a large
demand for mod_perl-1 stuff, this repository will just include
mod_perl-2 packages.

--
best regards,
randy kobes