On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, John Siracusa wrote:

> On 11/14/02 2:12 PM, Randy Kobes wrote:
> >
> > If your front-end proxy server has 'ProxyVia on' enabled, a Via
> > header would get sent.  According to rfc2068, the protocol name
> > should, and port may, be supplied in this header if these aren't
> > the defaults - would this be enough to enable your mod_perl
> > server to distinguish between an HTTP or HTTPS request?
>
> I tried turning on ProxyVia, but all I got was the HTTP
> protocol version ("1.1") and the host ("www.foo.com"), but no
> scheme string (e.g. "http://"; or "https://";)

Were these from requests you know were made using https? My
reading of the Via header was that the protocol name is optional
only if it is HTTP, implying that if it's not given, you can
assume it's HTTP. Perhaps less useful, if the port is not given,
it may be assumed that the default port is used.

--
best regards,
randy