John Siracusa writes:
> and that does the trick.  The full code for the module is at the end of this
> message.  But I still think this is an ugly hack, and I'd like to be able to
> do this using "standard" apache modules or config parameters...

Our hack is to forward 443 to port 81 on the middle tier:

    <VirtualHost 1.2.3.4:443>
        ProxyVia on
        RewriteRule ^(.*) http://middle.tier.host:81$1 [proxy]

We set a value (is_secure => 1) on our internal request object when it
is initialized if the incoming port is 81.  We also set remote_ip with:

    $r->connection->remote_ip($1)
        if ($r->header_in('x-forwarded-for') || '') =~ /((?:\d+\.){3}\d+)/;

This makes the log entries useful.  There might be an easier way to do
this.

Rob