Ged Haywood wrote:
Hi Stas,

On Sun, 8 Dec 2002, Stas Bekman wrote:

Ged Haywood wrote:
[...]

Try upgrading to Perl 5.7.2 at least.  It worked for me.

There are those who would recommend 5.8.0 minimum, but I'm not one.
(Yet:).
Eh? 5.8.0 is almost the same as 5.7.2, with mucho bugs fixed. I don't understand why do you suggest to install an unstable developers version, when there is a stable and better version out there.

Simply that I've never upgraded to 5.8.0 myself and I've seen a few
people with some troubles when they did.  I've had no trouble at all
with 5.7.2.
If there are any troubles, they should be reported to p5p. Personally I didn't have any. Mandrake 8.0 uses 5.8.0 for its all tools and it works, so does the new RH.

You may remember I had segfault problems with dprof and 5.7.1 which
went away when I upgraded to 5.7.2 (it was you who suggested it:).
At that time there was no 5.8.0 available.

I see no reason why we should mislead readers, saying do not upgrade to 5.8.0, but to 5.7.2 instead.