Jeff AA wrote:
I have two questions:

1) In this list, I have seen folks asking general Perlish questions told to take their discussions elsewhere, along with the useless recommendation that they browse lists.perl.org - I have done this several times and joined a few of the lists, but only ever found lists that were rather beginner. I have also lurked in some of the groups.yahoo.com pearly lists without finding the right level.

- can folks name any specific useful intermediate/advanced
Perl lists? i.e. Perl 4+ years in a commercial env
In addition to perlmonks.org, the usenet groups and IRC have the highest concentration of experienced Perl coders.

   I would guess that symbol table fiddles
   might be risky in a mod_perlish env.
No more so than any other place. The biggest risk is that symbol table hacks are usually bizarre and hard to read. The Apache::PerlRun module modifies the symbol table in order to reset globals, and I've done really simple things with it to automatically build accessor methods (which can be better than AUTOLOAD with mod_perl because of memory sharing).

- Perrin