> So by user nobody, you mean in the httpd.conf file in the <virtualhost
> tags the user and group?
>
> I have it set to user username and group username for each account,
> since all of our boxes use SuExec.

Okay, that may be an issue because SuExec does not work with mod_perl.
Each apache daemon can only run mod_perl processes as a single user, but
that user can be any user you choose.  You would never set them to run as
root, because that would be a security problem.
> So mod_perl is safe.... Ok. one other question. If I do upgrade to
> Mod_Perl, can I still run regular Perl scripts

Yes, and you should still be able to run them with SuExec.  As George
said, there is quite a bit documentation on the perl.apache.org site that
may help you.
- Perrin