Chris Hoffmann wrote:
[...]
My need is to scan incoming data.

If anyone has used "mod_vscan" on incoming data or know if the "All-in-One Filter" example located at;
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/filters.html#All_in_One_Filter
can do this please contact me.
I'm not familiar with mod_vscan and you don't specify how the scan filter works, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work, as long as all you need is an access to the request's headers. Notice that you may need to have to store the context data between filter calls, which currently is not supported, but I'm working on adding this feature asap.

Also all-in-one filter is an example of how to snoop on the data going through the filter, since you don't need the output filter, you can use a simpler only-input connection filter:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/filters.html#Connection_Output_Filters

One more thing that needs to be figured out is how to make the filter abort the normal request processing if the virus is discovered and return a 40x response.