Hi there,

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Jim Morrison [Mailinglists] wrote:

> Sorry this is a little off topic...  Is there a size limit on DBM's? (Or
> Linux files for that matter.. )
[snip]
> Thing is I'm getting a "write error" and it seems to always happen when
> the DBM gets to 2.0Gb ..
[snip]
>  Linux hope 2.4.7-10 #1 Thu Sep 6 16:46:36 EDT 2001 i686 unknown

I only have gdbm, which doesn't have at least some of the dbm restrictions,
so I don't know about dbm files.  There are some cautions about dbm files
in the mod_perl Guide.

For Linux files it depends on the filesystem you're using and how it was
initialized.  For example I use ext2 (most will), and in my copy of the
documentation (it's for 2.4.19) it gives a list of file and filesystem
sizes for different block sizes.  (I won't post the whole thing as it's
over 17kBytes:).

Filesystem block size:     1kB        2kB        4kB        8kB

File size limit:          16GB      256GB     2048GB     2048GB
Filesystem size limit:  2047GB     8192GB    16384GB    32768GB

There is a 2.4 kernel limit of 2048GB for a single block device, so no
filesystem larger than that can be created at this time.  There is also
an upper limit on the block size imposed by the page size of the kernel,
so 8kB blocks are only allowed on Alpha systems (and other architectures
which support larger pages).

Check out linux-2.4.7/Documentation/filesystems/ext2.txt or whatever
you have on your system.  You might want to consider using gdbm, your
data could then be "as large as you want" according to the manpage...

73,
Ged.