On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Robert Kehl wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Thanks for your thoughts, Randy.
>
> > Are there any helpful messages in the error log
> > indicating what's failing?
>
> No, none.
>
> > Perhaps the first thing to check - does
> >
> >   LoadFile "C:/Perl/bin/perl56.dll"
> >   LoadModule perl_module modules/mod_perl.so
> >
> > alone, without any further mod_perl directives, prevent the
> > server from starting?
>
> That works ok, for Perl 5.6.1 and 5.8.0. Surely I can't execute
> any perl then.

This was just to test that the mod_perl.so module was OK,
which apparently it is.

>                 The browser starts to load a page, but does not
> finish. After several minutes(!) it says 404.

Is this even for a static page?

You mentioned earlier that without mod_perl, CGI scripts
execute OK, but are slow ... This might be a more general
problem that should be looked at first ....

> > If so, then it might be that you're running
> > into the fact that mod_perl 2.0 on Win32 has problems with
> > perl-5.6.1 (ActivePerl 6xx), and that the solution would be to
> > migrate to perl-5.8.0 (ActivePerl 8xx).
>
> As long as I don't have a DBD-Mysql afterwards, that's not
> possible other than for testing. But it's the same for 5.8.0 -
> crashing, too.

There's a DBD-mysql ppm package for ActivePerl 8xx available
in our http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/ repository.

> > However, if the server starts OK above, but things like
> >    PerlModule Apache2
> > cause it to crash, then it might be a misconfiguration,
>
> Ok, but where to configure?
>
> > or faulty installation, or something similar. If this
> > is the case, the error log should give a clue about
> > what's failing.
>
> Nope, it doesn't, stays absolutely clear. The only thing
> happens is a small dialogue box popping up saying "The
> requested operation has failed." Same happens if I comment
> "PerlModule Apache2" and uncomment "PerlRequire", if if the
> file to be required consists only of comments!

Does Apache2.pm exist on your system (under, eg,
C:\Perl\site\lib)? And does the file you use for PerlRequire have
a '1;' as the last line (ie, return a true value)? If both of
these are OK, then the fact that even these fail indicate
something seriously wrong - these are really basic things.

If the above doesn't help, I'd suggest, first of all, making sure
Apache 2 works OK without mod_perl, including perl cgi scripts
(simple pages and scripts should be served very fast).  When
you're satisfied with that, using Perl 5.8 if possible, remove
existing mod_perl packages (1.0 and 2.0), and then reinstall
mod_perl 2.0, making sure that mod_perl.so gets installed into
your Apache2 modules/ directory. Then try loading mod_perl, and
assuming that works, start adding simple things like you were
doing - loading Apache2, and requiring a simple startup file.

--
best regards,
randy