Casey Songer wrote:
This is probably a stupid question, but I've been searching the documentation for 3 or 4 hours now and I still can't get mod_perl to install. I have mod_perl installed under apache 1.3.26 and have been running that with great success for a couple years, but I am trying to upgrade to apache 2.0.44 with mod_perl 1.99_08. I can get mod_perl to compile, but I can't get apache to include mod_perl when compiling. Here are the steps I tried (trying to follow the steps in the installation documentation):

cd httpd-2.0.44
./configure --enable-ssl --enable-rewrite
cd ../mod_perl-1.99_08
perl Makefile.PL MP_AP_PREFIX=/usr/local/src/httpd-2.0.44 MP_INST_APACHE2=1 MP_USE_STATIC=1
make
make install
cd ../httpd-2.0.40/modules
ln -s /usr/local/src/mod_perl-1.99_08/src/modules/perl/ perl
cd ..
./config.nice --enable-perl
make
make install

When I do "httpd -l" mod_perl isn't listed, should it be? I also get errors for things in my apache configuration scripts like PerlHandler and PerlRequire, which I assume means that mod_perl isn't installed. I have read through http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/intro/start_fast.html and http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/install/install.html and the docs that came with mod_perl. I apologize if I am missing something obvious here, but any help would be extremely appreciated, including links to more documentation that I can read.
What you are missing is that Apache has to be built and installed first. I'll stress that in the docs.