It's not a DSO, it's compiled in. If I had gotten the URL correct, that
would have been clear :-)

> > I have successfully run Apache::MP3 on a Red Hat 7.3
> configuration but I'd
> > like to use Red Hat 8.0 because of a number of the updates
> included the
> > current version of perl. This page compares the versions of
> the relevant
> > components (as far as I can tell) and the output of httpd
> -V, httpd -l, and
> > perl -V on the Red Hat 8.0 and Red Hat 7.3 machines.
> >
> > <http://stream.esm.rochester.edu/trouble/stream80_vs_stream73.html>
>
> Er...
>
> hurricane:~$ >>> ping stream.esm.rochester.edu
> PING stream.esm.rochester.edu (172.30.209.9) from
> 212.22.195.7 : 56(84) bytes of data.

Sorry, I forgot the hostname is on a private IP. This link works.

<http://128.151.209.241/trouble/stream80_vs_stream73.html>

> --- stream.esm.rochester.edu ping statistics ---
> 15 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss
>
> > Could I upgrade Red Hat 7.3 to 8.0
>
> How much time have you got?

The implication being that booting the 7.3 machine with an 8.0 isn't going
to get me an option that a regular person would call an "upgrade?"

> > and retain my apache configuration but end up with perl 5.8.0?
>
> If you want Perl 5.8.0 under 7.3 that's no problem, just grab the
> source and compile it.  (Don't use RPMs unless you relish pain...:)

Is it pretty clear how to make everything use 5.8.0 instead of the
pre-existing version? Is it as simple as replacing /usr/bin/perl?