Actually I run into the problem before I get to the Apache::MP3 part but
running Apache::MP3 is the ultimate goal.

The distro I'm trying is Red Hat 8.0 which includes apache 2.x.x, mod_perl
1.99 and perl 5.8.0 but Apache::MP3 requires the 1.0 mod_perl API. I tried
to use the Apache::compat module as suggested by the Namp! web site
<http://namp.sourceforge.net/> to make it compatible with the 1.0 API but
that didn't seem to work. I get "failed to resolve handler `Apache::MP3'" in
the httpd/error_log when trying to load the directory Apache::MP3 is set to
handle.

I would just as soon not use Apache 2 anyway so I tried installing
apache-1.3.27 and mod_perl-1.27, following the instructions in
INSTALL.simple, included in the mod_perl source. Unfortunately when I add
the following to httpd.conf, the apachectl configtest segfaults:

<Location /Songs>
        SetHandler perl-script
        PerlHandler Apache::MP3
</Location>

/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl configtest
/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl: line 171:   999 Segmentation fault
$HTTPD -t

The segfault is not caused by the PerlHandler, it still happens if there's
only the SetHandler line.

I have successfully run Apache::MP3 on a Red Hat 7.3 configuration but I'd
like to use Red Hat 8.0 because of a number of the updates included the
current version of perl. This page compares the versions of the relevant
components (as far as I can tell) and the output of httpd -V, httpd -l, and
perl -V on the Red Hat 8.0 and Red Hat 7.3 machines.

<http://stream.esm.rochester.edu/trouble/stream80_vs_stream73.html>

I should also mention that on Red Hat 8.0 if I do not select the "Web
Server" set of packages, Apache 2.0 is still installed but mod-perl 1.99 is
not. I don't *think* that should make a difference but I can't tell.

Does anyone know a specific cause of this problem? What's my best option, do
a different compile of apache & mod_perl? Could I upgrade Red Hat 7.3 to 8.0
and retain my apache configuration but end up with perl 5.8.0?

--
Curtis Wilcox                       Eastman School of Music
[EMAIL PROTECTED]