We had this same problem a while back.  One of our developers pecked at it
for a couple of weeks off and on, and in our case it turned out to be
Javascript.  We had some links to the pages that would spin infinitely that
looked like:

we changed them to this:

and the problems went away.  Just thought I'd toss that out there.  It's
almost definitely not a mod_perl-related problem.

-Fran