Also have a look as 'aspell', which I found to have a more extensive
dictionary and thus suggestions for words.  I also discovered that sending
stdin to it from a perl script can be quite slow (e.g. an email that has
several replies), however there's a perl module interface that I also
discovered on CPAN -- haven't implemented it yet, too busy.

http://savannah.gnu.org/download/

aspell can be substituted for ispell (same call options), so you might as well
evaluate them both.

-doug