Greetings.

[...]
> The issue: The simplest script I can't think of doesn't work.
>
>     my $r = shift;
>     $r->send_http_header("text/plain");
>     $r->print("hello world");
>
> When I try to access the script, my MSIE 6.0 prompts for
> download when it
> should simple print the "hello world" string. Isn't it?
[...]
>         Trying 127.0.0.1...
>         Connected to localhost.
>         Escape character is '^]'.
>         GET /perl/test.pl HTTP/1.0
[...]
> What I'm doing wrong??

I do not think it is you. But, I have observed that IE sometimes tries to
outfox Content-type when the extension of the url maps to one of the locally
registered file types. Therefore, if perl (AS) is installed on the client
machine, IE will disregard Content-type in favor of the local file
association. If this is the case, then changing the extension from .pl to
(nothing) should give you the expected result, as would  requesting
/perl/test.pl?foo=bar instead than /perl/test.pl.

As an aside, if anyone on the list knows of ways to defang this really
annoying IE behavior, I would be most interested in knowing about it....

Cheers,
alf