Hi Scott,

In my understanding your script responds correctly from the configuration

<Directory /usr/local/systems/work/>

       PerlSendHeader On
       SetHandler perl-script
       PerlHandler Apache::Registry
       Options +ExecCGI
        # AUTH
        AuthType Apache::Authenticate
AuthName protected
PerlAccessHandler Apache::OpenAccess
PerlAuthenHandler Apache::Authenticate->authenticate
require valid-user

</Directory>

Please, let me know if I'm wrong.

Assuming it does, you would probably better try the following replacement:

<Directory /usr/local/systems/work/>

       PerlSendHeader On
       SetHandler perl-script
       PerlHandler Apache::RegistryFilter Apache::Dynagzip
       PerlSetVar Filter On
       PerlSetVar LightCompression On
       Options +ExecCGI
        # AUTH
        AuthType Apache::Authenticate
AuthName protected
PerlAccessHandler Apache::OpenAccess
PerlAuthenHandler Apache::Authenticate->authenticate
require valid-user

</Directory>

It should compress all output from this directory.

When you need to distinguish compression between different types of output,
it's the most simple solution to run each type of outgoing content from the
own directory. You might have one compressed directory and one plain then.
Otherwise you need to write your own fixup handler to turn compression off
dynamically.

Please let me know if it works for you.

Thanks,
Slava