On Mon, 26 May 2003, Perrin Harkins wrote:

> Scott Alexander wrote:
> > Yes if I join all my output using
> >
> > $print = $print . "html source"
> >
> > and then one print at the end
> >
> > AND change my script name from script.pl to script.html it works.
> >
> > The script I experimented on went from 15000 bytes down to 2900 bytes!
> >
> > Do I have to change all my scripts from pl to html ?
> > And why must I have everything in one print statement for it to work?
>
> I'm not sure why those changes helped, but you should know that
> Apache::GzipChain is not in wide use anymore.  Most people use either
> Apache::Compress or Apache::Dynagzip.  You can read more about them here:
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/tutorials/client/compression/compression.html
>
> - Perrin

Okay thanks now I'm using Dynagzip. The results are quite impressive.

Some of my scripts output rtf or csv. The user can select the output
format (html/csv) so depending on their selection I need to have
compression turned off. Some scripts only output rtf. All my scripts have
the extension 'pl'.

I have tried $r->dir_config->set(Filter => 'Off') ; if user script outputs
rtf.

Is there some way I can turn off compression for certain scripts. I could
rename the extension for scripts that I don't want compression, but in the
case where the user can select the output then those scripts won't benefit
from compression. It would be easier to turn it off dynamically than to
rename my scripts, links, <form action=''> etc etc.

Also why does IE 6 display different html code compared to Netscape?

Netscape displays it correctly, but IE only displays '</body></html' at
the end. It's always missing the last '>'

My httpd.conf is

<Directory /usr/local/systems/work/>

       PerlSendHeader On
       SetHandler perl-script
       PerlHandler Apache::Registry
       Options +ExecCGI

        ## DYNAGZIP
        <Files *.pl>
            SetHandler perl-script
            PerlHandler Apache::RegistryFilter Apache::Dynagzip
            PerlSetVar Filter On
            PerlSetVar UseCGIHeadersFromScript Off
            PerlSendHeader Off
            PerlSetupEnv On
            PerlSetVar LightCompression On
        </Files>

        # AUTH
        AuthType Apache::Authenticate
        AuthName protected
        PerlAccessHandler Apache::OpenAccess
        PerlAuthenHandler Apache::Authenticate->authenticate
        require valid-user

</Directory>

Scott