Dave wrote:
I am having the exact same test failure results on openbsd, and the
archives show that some people have had similar problems, with no
resolution that I have seen.

sure, and it was the same problem with aix earlier. The problem is with DSO loading and it's a different problem on each platform, though it inhibits itself in the same way to user's eye ;)

what happens if you manually run

/usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd -X -d ./t -f cont/httpd.conf

from within the toplevel mod_perl-1.99_09 directory?  the -X tells apache
to run as a single process, no forking.  the problem on openbsd is that
the fork'd child processes are getting segfaults somewhere in libperl.so,
but the parent process is doing its thing (fork'ing children) and
returning successfully.  I didn't post a bug report here because I think
its a problem with perl on openbsd.  Could this be a mod_perl problem?
the segfaults are due to attempts to access mem 0xabababab which is a
special value that perl uses (with the Poison macro) to try to make
catching segfaults easier.  I'm kinda stuck.

You don't tell which version of OpenBSD you are on. Philippe and I have spent a lot of time trying to make it working on OpenBSD 2.9, but weren't successful. I couldn't even run mod_perl 1, DSO with customly built perl. Using the system 5.6.0 perl was good for making mod_perl 1 DSO working, but it's of no use to mod_perl 2.0. The problem is that system 5.6.0 perl was customly build and I wasn't able to produce a similar version for 5.6.1 or higher and OpenBSD 2.9 is no longer supported, so 5.6.0 is the best you can get.

FWIW, Philippe reported having no problems running mod_perl 2.0 on OpenBSD 3.3 (though I think you need to use current cvs for that).