That's cool & is yet another example of the power of
mod_perl. And you're right about the documentation. I
was blown away by the amount of docs. available at
perl.apache.org; thanks to all the hard work of Stas
Beckman !!

We had been using mod_perl & had been having a very
stable site for quite a long time.

Now we're planning to shift to mod_perl-2. I could get
everything compiled, but mp2 bombed while parsing our
config. files. I've reported this bug (search for
PerlSection + recurse/recursive) and hopefully some1
is working on it ;-) Anyway, I plan to spend my
weekends reading mod_perl code and see if I can fix
this issue.

Once the above issue is fixed, we'd be able to move on
to the next level of testing & report any further
issues.

(Btw, Chris, are you using the worker mpm ? Is it
stable ? We'd like to go the worker mpm way & would
like to know if any1 is using it yet in production.)

thx
Sreeji

 --- Chris Faust <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > Our
mod_perl success story.

> As consultants we were hired to repair, revamp and
> rebuild a online
> classifieds site in which a lot of cost and effort
> was placed in promoting
> the site and generating traffic but the site itself
> was based on a 3rd party
> product that simply could not handle the half
> million hits a day the site
> was getting.
>

> Without a lot of effort the decision was made to
> build a custom solution
> from the ground up using Perl and Apache under
> Linux.
>
> After completing the project and having some
> difficult issues with the
> current ISP we moved the entire site to an ISP that
> we have had a long term
> relationship with and who provides us with
> everything one would need to
> properly maintain such a project.
>

> Little did we know that the second we moved to our
> new ISP it was like
> opening up the flood gates (long story relating to
> other ISP), overnight
> this CGI driven site went from a half million hits a
> day to a million and
> with it came a number of problems, a lot of which
> were unfixable without
> adding more hardware - there was simply far too much
> traffic coming through
> during the peak times of the day.
>

> Having spent a week doing everything we could,
> optimizing everything
> possible it was clear that at best, we may be able
> to gain enough to just
> keep our heads above water.
>

> Reluctantly we knew we had no choice but to give
> mod_perl a try, we really
> didn't think it was going to make that much of a
> difference but every little
> bit counted at this point.
>
> We knew that it was going to be very difficult to
> setup apache and
> especially convert our code over - I mean after all
> I've heard as many
> stories of nightmare conversions as success stories.
>

> After about the first week of pouring through the
> documentation and
> experimenting on our development server, I realized
> HOW WRONG I WAS..
>

> Once we understood what was expected, conversion of
> the current code was
> less painful and a lot more interesting to do then
> some of the phone calls
> or meetings that led up to getting the contract for
> the project itself J.
>

> Once everything was done we could see instantly the
> improvement on our dev
> server, what we didn't know nor what we were
> prepared for was what would
> happen once this was running in production, I mean
> sure it was fast when
> there is only 2 of us on the machine, so was the old
> site.
>

> What we saw after going live was one of those
> moments when you are just
> blown away, where you are sitting there saying "I
> see it but I just don't
> [...]
=== message truncated ===