At a recent client, I had the mandate to develop a front/back server
setup, with the front being a thin mod_proxy setup and the back being
a fat mod_perl setup.  One of the things I noticed while compiling and
deploying Apache on Solaris via the pmap command is that the static
linking and selective loading (via LoadModule) didn't really save me
that much stuff... only the AddModule selected whether the module had
been activated, and therefore allocated its private memory.

Has anyone else seen this?  Am I crazy for suggesting that DSO doesn't
really gain you much, and a simple selective AddModule is enough?

Also, has anyone gotten experience with AddModule mod_perl but keeping
the front-end's mod_perl tasks to a minimum, and therefore the memory
footprint very small?  I want the backend's mod_perl usage to be fat:
that's the whole point of the divergence.