From: Mike Zelina [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 12:59 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: security with mod_perl

I have a local hosting provider who has mod_perl installed
on the server, but will not enable it for security reasons.  After doing
some digging on the mod_perl site and thinking about how many ways a
renegade mod_perl program could bring down a site (large modules using
a lot of memory means larger httpd process, consumes memory, hurts
performance,
etc.).

I couldn't find any documentation on how a host *could* provide mod_perl
and do it in a way that would be safe for his server and usable for a
client.  Maybe some way to restrict memory space or something?  One problem
see is that Stat::INC would need to be enabled for everything (at least in
the
clients sandbox).  I guess performance-wise, this would still be way better
than straight CGI.

Thanks for any help.  If there is an "M" out there for this, please
tell me to "RTF"!

I looked into some of the sites listed on the mod_perl providers page on
perl.apache.org.  However, most of these sites are $99+ per month.  My
lowly non-profit clients can't afford this much $.  I'm debating getting
a bunch of non-profits together and do a dedicated server, but I'd rather
not do that unless I have to.

Thanks,
Mike Zelina