> > The code to implement blocks (e.g. <TIPool>...</TIPool>) in
> config files is
> > pretty gnarly, too.  I know it's already there for <Perl>, it's
> one of the
> > places I looked when I was considering doing one of my own and
> wanted to see
> > an example.  The Apache framework is pretty strong for putting in new
> > directives, but not so much for adding new blocks.
>
> Actually you can't quite do that in a 3rd party module. Currently
> the pools
> are internal to mod_perl. Making this customizable will require
> adding hooks
> to the internal tipool mechanism. When I wrote the above
> pseudo-config I was
> suggesting an internal support for these.

I was actually not figuring to do it myself. ;)

I was commenting on the code required to implement things like <Perl> or
<TIPool>.  I've since queried the httpd-dev list and the 'official' example
is in the source for mod_proxy (with a caveat that a three-pass config file
parser may necessitate further changes at some point).  It appears to be a
lot simpler than the parsing that mod_perl is doing.  I was wondering...is
there a specific reason mod_perl implements <Perl> the way it does or is it
just code inertia?

mma