> With something like a <Proxy http://foo/*></Proxy> block, mod_proxy does
> the right thing ( and the simple ) of using the power of
> ap_walk_config() to handler the parsing of the contents of the block.

[...snip...]

> Reason <Perl> blocks can't do that is becasue we can't let httpd try and
> parse perl code and make any sense of it. If you look closely, a <Perl>
> block simply slurps all its contents and feeds it to perl for
> processing.

Ah...I see...it's the MP_CMD_SRV_RAW_ARGS_ON_READ which translates into
AP_INIT_RAW_ARGS with the all-important EXEC_ON_READ flag that allows you to
waylay the configuration file on the way in.  Otherwise the directives are
partially processed and constructed into a tree, which you don't want.
Turns out mod_macro does the same thing.  Doesn't apply to my code, thank
goodness.

thx,
mma