Mithun Bhattacharya wrote:
I have a opportunity to upgrade and standardize a couple of mod_perl
enabled servers to the most stable configuration as of now. Apache 1.3
and mod_perl was easy to choose since it is a production environment.
What I am very much confused is to what should I chose for the
distribution. For various reasons it is certainly going to be RedHat
but I have a choice between the very well tested 7.3 but highly likely
to become unsupported by RedHat soon. Or I could go for RedHat 9.0 and
rollback perl to 5.6.1 - I dont like the idea of running a production
server on a maintenance snapshots of perl especially a .0 release. If
anyone has recently had the opportunity to make simillar decisions do
share what made him/her decide on whatever platform was chosen.

As Jonathan Gardner suggested go with the latest version. You have a better kernel, better glibc and many more better things. You can always downgrade parts that you don't find good.

Also does the Native Posix Thread Library support in RedHat 9.0 have
any added benifit for mod_perl/my applications ?

Not if you don't use threads.

perl 5.8.1 is about to be released and after doing some testing I'd suggest to go with it. It has a pretty good ithreads support when you need it. However don't build this feature in, unless you really need it, since ithreads support slows perl down. Of course when you use ithreads
you get the speedups/benefits on other fronts, so the lost is compensated.

Having perl 5.8.0/1 gives you a chance to try your applications on threaded mpms of Apache2/mod_perl 2.0 and they may scale much better.