Matt Sergeant wrote:

Anyone got any experience of doing MS SQL Server from mod_perl on Linux
(via the FreeTDS drivers)?

Not under mod_perl, but I think the experience is still relevant.

Any gotchas I should be aware of? I have a very high performance
requirements application (millions of hits/day) and I need to know the
architecture can cope with it (the alternative being PostgreSQL).

Sorry if I mention obvious things, but I know of:

1) lack of placeholders support with DBD::Sybase + Freetds layer.
  I used freetds 0.53, but 0.61 had the same problem for me.

2) I wasn't able to use sql transactions in the same way
  I normally do with postgresql/db2/informix/sybase/...
  This could be due to my fault, SQL server version (?),
  or other problems I couldn't track down.

--
Cosimo