Hi Nigel,

I had the same question three month ago.
There are a few sources which compare the different modules. See
mod_perl guide.

My solution is now mod_deflate 1.0.18 with apache 1.3.27.

My configuration in httpd.conf is:

# activate compress
<IfModule mod_deflate.c>
# main switch
        DeflateEnable           on
        DeflateMinLength        1024
        DeflateCompLevel        8
# compress over proxies
        DeflateProxied          on
# switch off MSIE 4.x - has bugs
        DeflateDisableRange     "MSIE 4."
# experimentell - for uploads
        DeflateVary             on
#       DeflateHTTP             1.1             # default
# activate for HTTP 1.0
        DeflateHTTP             1.0
#       DeflateTypes            text/html       # default
# add more content types for compression
        DeflateTypes            text/css
        DeflateTypes            text/plain
        DeflateTypes            text/rtf
        DeflateTypes            text/xml
        DeflateTypes            text/javascript
        DeflateTypes            image/vnd.dwg
        DeflateTypes            image/vnd.dxf
        DeflateTypes            application/msword
        DeflateTypes            application/vnd.hp-HPGL
        DeflateTypes            application/vnd.ms-access
        DeflateTypes            application/vnd.ms-excel
        DeflateTypes            application/vnd.ms-powerpoint
        DeflateTypes            application/vnd.ms-project
        DeflateTypes            application/vnd.visio
        DeflateTypes            application/x-javascript
# pdf does no work
#       DeflateTypes            application/pdf
</IfModule>

I hope that helps you.

Regards,
Sven.