Hi there,

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Ranga Nathan wrote:

> >In other words there's an Apache still running
>
> The 'top' output is :
> [snip]
> How can I get a list of ports being used so I can kill the processes?

As I said, there may be more wrong than just what's obvious.  It looks
like the obvious explanation that another Apache is running is not the
right one.  At the risk of asking questions I wouldn't have to ask if
you'd posted the information I asked for, why port 2205?  That's not
what I'd expect to see, but without more information I'm groping about
in the dark.  What's trying to use that port?  MySQL perhaps?  Why not
stop it first, or change the port that Apache is trying to use, or the
port that whatever apachectl is trying to start is trying to use, or...

> As far as I can tell httpd is not running. The IP is 208.179.25.28

c2h5oh:~$ >>> ping 208.179.25.28
PING 208.179.25.28 (208.179.25.28): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 208.179.25.28: icmp_seq=0 ttl=236 time=389.6 ms

--- 208.179.25.28 ping statistics ---
round-trip min/avg/max = 389.6/389.6/389.6 ms
c2h5oh:~$ >>> telnet 208.179.25.28 80
Trying 208.179.25.28...

Looks like you're right.  Have you read the stuff I mentioned?

> I dont see any apparent signs of hacking either.

Don't go tilting at windmills just yet. :)

73,
Ged.